Enzymatic and Non-Enzymatic Antioxidants of Calamintha officinalis Moench Extracts
Calamintha officinalis (COM) is a genus of aromatic herbs, native in north of Iran. Partial purification of aqueous extract from COM was done using ammonium sulfate precipitation followed by dialysis. The total protein content was determined at various purification stages. The highest amount of protein of the extract was found in fraction obtained in 20-40% saturation range. Specific activities of three antioxidant enzymes, peroxidase (POD), catalase (CAT), and superoxide dismutase (SOD) were also determined and compared in each stage. The highest activity of POD, CAT and SOD was in fractions 60-80%, 20-40%, and 20-40% respectively. The non-enzymatic antioxidants were evaluated by two different methods i.e. free radical scavenging activity using DPPH and inhibition of lipid peroxidation by the ferric thiocyanate method. It was found that radical scavenging power of COM methanolic extract was 43.99. Furthermore, the inhibition of lipid peroxidation of the extract was decreased every 24 h. Thus, our findings suggested that C.officinalis possess potent antioxidant defense machinery both enzymatic and non enzymatic.
2. Kamalanathan, D., Srinivasan, R., Pratheeba, T., Yuvarajan, R., Natarajan, D., Antioxidant activities of leaf extracts of Euphorbia fusiformis Buch.-Ham. ex D. Don (Euphorbiaceae). Free Radical and Antioxdants, 2015, 5, 83-9.
3. Duman, Y.A., Kaya, E., Three-Phase partitioning as a rapid and easy method for the purification and recovery of catalase from sweet potato tubers (Solanum tuberosum). Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, 2013, 170, 1119-26.
4. Sharma, A.D., Rakhra, G., Kaur, S., Kaur, H., Expression of boiling-stable peroxidase (PRX) isoenzymes under combined effect of drought and heat in different tissues of Triticum aestivum. Journal of Agricultural Technology, 2013, 9, 901-13.
5. Niyomploy, P., Boonsombat, R., Karnchanatat, A., Sangvanich, P., A superoxide dismutase purified from the roots from Stemona tuberosa. Preparative Biochemistry and Biotechnology, 2014a, 44, 663-79.
6. Niyomploy, P., Srisomsap, C., Chokchaichamnankit, D., Vinayavekhin, N., Karnchanatat, A., Sangvanich, P., Superoxide dismutase isozyme detection using two-dimensional gel electrophoresis zymograms. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis, 2014b, 90, 72-7.
7. Lai, L.-S., Chang, P.-C., Chang, C.-T., Isolation and characterization of superoxide dismutase from wheat seedlings. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 2008, 56, 8121-9.
8. Philippe, B.A., Karine, N., Barthélemy, A.K., Noél, Z.G., Joseph, D.A., Hosttetmann, K., Bio-guided isolation of antioxidant compounds from Chrysophyllum perpulchrum, a plant used in the Ivory Coast pharmacopeia. Molecules, 2010, 15, 6386-98.
9. Tomsone, L., Kruma, Z., Galoburda, R., Comparison of different solvents and extraction methods for isolation of phenolic compounds from horseradish roots (Armoracia rusticana). World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, 2012, 64, 903-8.
10. Alam, M.N., Bristi, N.J., Rafiquzzaman, M., Review on in vivo and in vitro methods evaluation of antioxidant activity. Saudi Pharmaceutical Journal, 2013, 21, 143-52.
11. Koksal, E., Gulcin, I., Purification and characterization of peroxidase from cauliflower (Brassica oleracea L. var. botrytis) buds. Protein Peptide Letters, 2008, 15, 320-6.
12. Bradford, M.M., A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein-dye binding. Analytical Biochemistry, 1976, 72, 248-54.
13. Rached-Kanouni, M., Alatou, D., Change in activity of antioxidative enzymes in leaves of Acacia retinodes, Biota orientalis and Casuarina equisetifolia under heat stress condition. European Scientific Journal , 2013, 402-10.
14. VG, M.K., Murugan, K., Antioxidant potentiality of partially purified protease inhibitor from the fruits of African nightshade (Solanum aculeatissimum Jacq.). World Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2013, 2, 5166-81.
15. Sisecioglu, M., Atasever, A., Şehitoğlu, M.H., Kaya, H.B., Purification and characterization of peroxidase from Turkish black radish (Raphanus sativus L.). Journal of Medicinal Plants Research, 2010, 4, 1187-96.
16. Hamid, M., Majeed, H., Al-Assie A.H., Purification and characterization of peroxidase extracted from wheat bran. World Journal of Pharmaceutical Research, 2016, 5, 77-86.
17. Ben Khaled, H., Ktari, N., Siala, R., Hmidet, N., Bayoudh, A., Nasri, M., Ghorbel, S., A heat-stable Cu/Zn superoxide dismutase from the viscera of sardinelle (Sardinella aurita): purification and biochemical characterization. Biologia, 2014, 69, 1770-6.
18. Mohammadi-Motamed, S., Shahidi-Motlagh, S., Bagherzadeh, H., Azad Forouz, S., Tafazoli, H., Evaluation of antioxidant activity of Ruta graveolens L. extract on inhibition of lipid peroxidation and DPPH radicals and the effects of some external factors on plant extract's potency. Research Journal of Pharmacognosy, 2014, 1, 45-50.
Journal of Applied Biotechnology Reports (JABR) of BMSU is the copyright owner of the published material. However, according to Bethesda Statement on Open Access Publishing, all works published in this journal are open access and immediately available to anyone on the web site of the journal without cost. You may not modify, copy, distribute, transmit, display, or publish any materials contained on the Journal without the prior written permission of it or appropriate copyright owner.